Sunday, February 27, 2011

31 Day Photo Challenge - Day 11

A picture of something I hate. 

Well, those of you who know me are aware that I would probably be considered more irritable than your average person.  But, for this post, we'll be focusing on my hatred for spelling and grammar errors.  This hatred actually breaks down in to categories.  For example, if someone just isn't really great at spelling and/or grammar and they send me a text message or an email with a typo in it, I may laugh.  I may even make a joke out of it (cause sometimes they're just really funny, am I right?).  But it won't fill me with the same kind of rage that comes when I see intentional errors, like those dang "I can haz cheezburger" cats.  I HATE those cats!  And their little bunny friends, too!  The pseudo-word "kwikstop" makes me throw up in my mouth.  You're not being cute, and you're not setting yourselves apart from the competition (at least not in a positive way) by replacing "quick" with "kwik."  Now you just look like a moron.



Okay, so we've got innocent typos coming from people with stubby thumbs (those cell phone buttons just keep getting smaller) or people whose strong suit just simply is not spelling and grammar.  Then we've got the idiots who think it's cute to spell things incorrectly.  And then we've got the people who are trying to be taken seriously, but are too cheap or too ignorant to hire a proofreader.  These are the people who put out ads, books, articles, signs, etc. with unnecessary apostrophes, superfluous quotation marks, and not a single comma to be found.  And sometimes those misspelled words can be quite...embarrassing.



So, there you have it.  One of my many pet peeves. 

And a cute little comic, to boot:

5 comments:

  1. I thought you might enjoy this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reva :-)
    First off, those of us whom are neither good spellers nor good with all of the 'grammar and punctuation rules', greatly appreciate that you 'get' that about us and choose to love us anyways!
    We are also thankful that you don't go all 'Leonard' on us about it!!! ;-p

    Secondly, while many of us admittedly are not good with such things, we too can become very annoyed with those whom misspell on purpose, and seldom find their renditions "cute".

    While I often love thick beefy hamburgers, I would like to pass on the type promoted in the above sign.

    I think that you and Bre make great 'Besties'! And for the record, some people still claim that my 'bestie' and I still get in trouble when we get together .... all these years down the road .... not always sure what they mean .... o;-p!!!

    ReplyDelete