Monday, February 7, 2011

“Football players, like prostitutes, are in the business of ruining their bodies for the pleasure of strangers.”

Two blog posts today, you lucky dogs, you!!  And this is an interactive one!

I think it was somewhere in the 2nd quarter of the Super Bowl last night that I realized that I, a lifelong poo-pooer of sports in general, was beginning to take a genuine interest in football.  Steelers, Packers - I didn't care - I just liked watching the game.  And I'm so blessed to have a husband who's willing to listen to my stupid questions ("What does 'sack' mean?"  "What's a 2-point conversion?"  "Are those lines really on the field or are they just on the TV?") and answer them lovingly, without laughing at me.

Okay, so here's where y'all come in -- I need a team.  It's not going to be the Lions, so don't even say it.  Michigander or not, they're just bad.  I could go for Green Bay, as I am technically from Wisconsin ... and green is my favorite color, but I don't know.  It doesn't feel right to be so glib about my selection. I need to research, I need to know history, I need to know about the quarterback who moonlights as a math tutor for underpriviledged children!  If a team has 3 members with statutory rape convictions, I probably don't want anything to do with them.  I need good, wholesome, passionate football players, people!

So help a sistah out.  Who should I root for and why?

5 comments:

  1. When I was younger, your grandpa bought me a little booklet called something like "Football for Women." It was really tiny, and was written in a kind of sarcastic, teasing style ... the author referred to his audience as "Alice," (I think) and it was quite amusing -- but very informative! Good for Michael for being nice about answering your questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ask tons of questions too! Who did you end up rooting for? I went for the Steelers :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa - I didn't really make a conscious choice, but I think I was pleased to see the Packers win :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Packers are a good choice, as are the Indianapolis Colts.

    The Packers are America's Team. Very few people don't like the Packers. They have more championships than any other NFL team. They also have a very storied franchise and the trophy awarded to the Superbowl winners each year is named after a Packer coach, Vince Lombardi. They also share the strongest rivalry (with the Bears) in all of professional sports.

    The Colts QB is Peyton Manning who is an all around "good guy", very honest and honorable. He plays for the love of the game and not necessarily the money. The whole team is respected. They had the chance to go undefeated one year but chose to sit their starters for a game or two to keep them fresh for the playoffs, ultimately giving up their undefeated season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Packers. I too have never liked sports but recently started watching football and kinda fell in love. Jessi and Jason were giving me crap for it the other day since I live in Chicago now and like the Packers who are the rivals of the Chicago Bears but oh well. I like em anyway! =)

    ReplyDelete